Schaaf Tools 8in x 3in Leather Strop Block
No matter your experience, ever woodworker needs a leather strop for knife sharpening and chisel honing. After shaping your bevel and getting an edge with a stone or grinding belt, stropping will be the final sharpening step. Keep this by your side at all times while you're working and it may even become your most used woodcarving tool. Carve - strop - then carve some more.
What Does Stropping Do?
The cutting edge of your gouge or chisel is made up of saw teeth, which can be seen under extreme magnification. When carving, the teeth will pick up resin from the wood, making it cut less effectively. The blade needs to be taken to a strop to clean this buildup. Technically stropping does not actually sharpen a blade – it cleans it. But it is still a key part of the sharpening process, and allows to work more safely and cut more easily.
- Cut Effortlessly - Put a razor sharp edge on your carving tools and knives with this premium knife sharpener. Makes carving wood, tomatoes or anything else, safer and easier.
- Built to Last - Topped with natural genuine leather, suede (rough) side up to better hold buffing compound. Durable, sturdy Japanese Zelkova wooden base will never warp or bend.
- Doesn't Slip - Innovatively designed with two base holes so the blade sharpener can be secured to your workbench with a bench dog hole or a bench-hook.
- Beginner Friendly - Leather sharpening strop comes with long lasting green stropping compound, helpful eBook with sharpening tips for all levels, and Schaaf Tools' excellent customer communication.
- Large surface - At 8"x3" this strop is large enough to put a mirror finish on all your carving gouges, chisels, knives, plane irons, axes, scissors and more.